Rice block farming seen to boost NegOcc farm mechanization plan

BACOLOD CITY — The plan to introduce rice block farming in Negros Occidental is seen to complement the efforts of the Office of the Provincial Agriculturist (OPA) in improving productivity through farm mechanization.

Provincial Agriculturist Japhet Masculino said Monday the “idea” is good as it will complement the farm mechanization program of the Department of Agriculture (DA).

Masculino said rice block farming is similar to the concept of service providing.

The Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) earlier said they are eyeing the expansion of block farming program to other crops like rice and corn aside from sugarcane.

In fact, one agrarian reform beneficiaries organization in Kabankalan City is currently on exploration stage of implementing rice block farming in the province.

The provincial government had been exploring a credit guarantee scheme agreement with interested companies in a bid to boost farm mechanization in Negros Occidental.

OPA said mechanization will enable farmers, especially those planting rice, to also improve profitability.

Meanwhile, DAR said block farming will also capacitate farmer-beneficiaries of the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program (Carp) to boost production by consolidating their lands and giving them the chance to manage collectively in order to produce more.

Masculino said considering that ARBs have small landholdings, block farming allows them to make their areas become contiguous and appropriate for farm mechanization.

He added that by making associations become service providers, their economies of scale are being improved by incurring lower production cost.

“In essence, mechanization is similar to of block farming as they both employ the concept of collectivity,” Masculino said, adding that OPA can also contribute to the success of rice block farm project in the province. (Erwin Nicavera/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...