RTWPB reviews minimum wage for Soccsksargen

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The Regional Tripartite Wages and Productivity Board (RTWPB) of Region 12 is set to conduct a public hearing and consultation for possible adjustment of the region’s minimum wage rates.

Sisinio Cano, RTWPB-12 chair, on Thursday said the move is part of the board’s ongoing review of the area’s socioeconomic situation and its impact on the prevailing minimum wages.

The public hearing and consultation will be held on March 20 at the Phela Grande Hotel and Convention Center here.

“This is to determine whether a new wage order should be issued, considering the prevailing socioeconomic condition of the region,” said Cano, who is also the Department of Labor and Employment-Region 12 director.

As of Thursday, the official said the agency has not received any petition for wage adjustments and that the conduct of the review was based on the principle of “motu proprio,” or through the initiative of the RTWPB.

He explained that under the amended rules of procedure on minimum wage fixing, RTWPBs may initiate a minimum wage review process on their own, or by virtue of a petition filed.

Cano said they also considered the period of effectivity of the region’s last wage order, which was on Oct. 9, 2016.

Under Wage Order No. RBXII-19, the minimum daily wage rate for non-agriculture workers in the region was set at P295 per day; while those in agriculture, retail and service establishments received P272.

Local private workers mainly received P15 to P20 increases in their daily wages with the integration of the cost of living allowance (COLA) into the previous rates.

For the public hearing and consultation, Cano said they have invited officials and representatives from workers’ and employers’ sectors as well as concerned government agencies.

He said other interested parties may also attend the activity and submit position papers regarding the minimum wage issue to the RTWPB-12.

Also known as Soccsksargen, Region 12 is made up of the provinces of South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and North Cotabato, and the cities of General Santos, Koronadal, Tacurong, Kidapawan and Cotabato. (PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...