Solon welcomes halt to foreign explorations in PH Rise

MANILA — Senator Paolo Benigno “Bam” Aquino IV on Tuesday welcomed President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to stop foreigners from conducting scientific exploration in the Philippine Rise (Benham Rise). This is while maintaining that the government should come up with a sound plan for exploring the 13-million-hectare resource-rich underwater plateau.

“The President’s pronouncement is a welcome development. Now we must determine our policy and plans for Benham Rise,” Aquino said.

The chair of the Senate Committee on Science and Technology, who had been insistent that only Filipinos should explore the Philippine Rise, added he was hoping that “the President will strictly and consistently enforce his order”.

Aquino made the statement following Malacañang’s earlier announcement that Duterte had ordered that “henceforth, only Filipinos will be allowed to conduct scientific research, lay submarine cables and explore and exploit for national resources in the Philippine Rise”.

The President gave the order during Monday night’s Cabinet meeting.

However, despite Duterte’s pronouncements, Aquino said he still planned to conduct a committee hearing on the matter to get the input and updates from Filipino scientists about their ongoing research and exploration on the Philippine Rise.

The lawmaker noted that, based on earlier reports, several Filipino scientists had already conducted maritime research in the area.

“In a Senate hearing, our scientists and experts will have the opportunity to present their current findings and plans, as well as the necessary equipment and resources needed to further study and develop the Philippine Rise,” he said.

“Let’s support our local scientists in their exploration missions and provide them with the resources they need,” Aquino said. (PNA)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...