Uganda reinstates mandatory COVID-19 testing for inbound travelers

Xinhua News Agency

KAMPALA – Uganda has reinstated mandatory COVID-19 testing for inbound travelers, a top official said on Wednesday (Sept. 15).

The mandatory testing was previously supposed to start on Sept. 3 but was suspended.

Chris Baryomunsi, minister of information, communication, technology, and national guidance, said in a statement that incoming air passengers would be required to pay US$30 each at a bank at the country’s Entebbe International Airport before proceeding for the test.

Uganda has only one international airport, at Entebbe, about 40 kilometers south of the capital, Kampala.

Baryomunsi said the test facility at Entebbe airport will be manned by government medical workers, unlike before when the facility was outside the airport and was private.

“Passengers with tourist visas will have their samples taken but will be permitted to proceed to their respective hotels as they await the processing of their results,” he said.

Baryomunsi said similar arrangements are also being organized at land border entry points.

On Aug. 20, the health ministry announced that starting Sept. 3, all inbound travelers would be subjected to mandatory COVID-19 tests regardless of their vaccination status and that all travelers, including children, are required to arrive with a negative PCR test result done within 72 hours prior to travel. (Xinhua)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...