UN employees kidnapped in Yemen’s Abyan

Xinhua News Agency

ADEN, Yemen – A United Nations official confirmed on Saturday, Feb. 12, that five UN staff members were kidnapped in Yemen’s turbulent southern province of Abyan.

Russell Geekie, the Senior Communications Advisor to the Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen, said “the UN staff members were on the way back to Aden after having completed a field mission.”

“The United Nations is in close contact with the authorities to secure their release,” he said.

Meanwhile, local media outlets reported that unknown gunmen believed to be members of the Yemen-based al-Qaida branch intercepted a UN vehicle in Mudiyah district, east of Abyan province.

The gunmen kidnapped several UN workers and took them to an unknown location, according to the reports.

So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

The Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) network, which mostly operates in eastern and southern provinces, has been responsible for many high-profile attacks against security forces in the country.

The AQAP has exploited years of deadly conflict between the Yemeni government and Houthi militia to expand its presence in some key areas of the war-ravaged Arab country. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...