Use of quarantine passes eyed anew

The use and issuance of quarantine passes for one member of the family is being suggested again amid the significant increase in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said it will leave it to the IATF if the quarantine passes would be required again. The DILG explained that more people go out to look for jobs, their part to help revive the economy.

“Kung ang issue ay bakit napakaraming tao sa kalsada, it’s precisely because nagbukas tayo ng ekonomiya dahil kailangan na nga nating palakasin ang ating ekonomiya dahil maraming taong mahihirapan kung ito ay babagsak (If the issue is the large number of people in streets, it’s precisely because of the fact that we opened the economy, because many will suffer if it collapses),” DILG USec. Jonathan Malaya pointed out.

Malaya reiterated that the public should strictly comply with the standard health protocols to prevent COVID-19.

Meanwhile, the department will ask for an update from LGUs next week regarding the ordinances they are considering and crafting, as the LGUs pursue a uniform implementation of health protocols.

DILG Secretary Eduardo Aῆo previously suggested those caught not wearing masks or not observing physical distancing should be imprisoned or fined.

Malaya clarified that jail is not the first option. “Pwede nilang gawing first offense, community service. Second offense community service with fine, Php 1,000 to Php 2,500 or Php 2,500 to Php 5,000 kapag lungsod (They can impose rendering community service for the first offense, and for second offense, community service with a fine of Php 1,000 to Php 2,500 or Php 2,500 to Php 5,000 for cities).”

“Tapos kapag third offense, iyon na iyong kulong. (For third offense, it could be imprisonment). Fines na (of) Php 2,500 to Php 5,000 and/or imprisonment at the discretion of the court,” he added.

– Report from Patrick de Jesus

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...