1 Filipino confirmed dead in Hawaii wildfire

An aerial image shows destroyed homes and vehicles after a wind driven wildfire burned from the hills through neighborhoods to the Pacific Ocean, as seen in the aftermath of the Maui wildfires in Lahaina, Hawaii, on August 17, 2023. – Embattled officials in Hawaii who have been criticized for the lack of warnings as a deadly wildfire ripped through a town insisted on August 16 that sounding emergency sirens would not have saved lives. At least 110 people died when the inferno levelled Lahaina last week on the island of Maui, with some residents not aware their town was at risk until they saw flames for themselves. (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon / AFP)

By Gabriela Baron

One Filipino was confirmed dead in the Hawaii wildfire, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

DFA said the Filipino was from Ilocos and eventually became a naturalized United States citizen.

DFA said the Philippine Consulate in Honolulu is already reaching out to the victim’s family.

The number of people known to have died in wildfire topped 111, based on the latest tally, making it the deadliest wildfire in the United States for over a century.

In early August, a series of wildfire broke out in Maui, Hawaii. With reports from Bea Bernardo and Agence France-Presse — cf

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...