17 people killed in Turkish air raids in Syria

Kurds living in Cyprus shout slogans during a demonstration against the Turkish offensive on Kurdish forces in northwest Syria, March 1, 2018, outside the Russian Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus. (Photo Courtesy of Reuters)

BEIRUT/ISTANBUL — Turkish warplanes attacked two positions of pro-Syrian government forces overnight, killing at least 17 people in the northwestern Kurdish enclave of Afrin, the British-based monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Friday.

The Observatory said the airstrikes took place late Thursday in the village of Jamaa.

The dead included three members of the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia, while the others were pro-Syrian militias who entered Afrin last week to help repel a Turkish offensive, the Observatory said.

The YPG militia confirmed the attack in a statement, saying the airstrikes killed and wounded several fighters.

Turkey’s military said in a statement that Turkish-made ATAK helicopters struck a region in western Afrin, killing nine “terrorists,’’ but did not provide further details.

It was not immediately clear whether the airstrikes were in retaliation for the deaths of eight Turkish soldiers killed in the region Thursday.

Turkey and allied Syrian rebel groups began their operation against the YPG in Afrin in January, aiming to drive the group out of the region.

Ankara considers the Kurdish militia as a terrorist group linked to an insurgency inside Turkey’s borders. | via Voice of America

 

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...