4-K tourism workers get vax on Baguio’s 112th Charter Day

By Liza Agoot / Philippine News Agency

The Baguio City government has set aside 4,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines as part of its 112th Charter Day celebration.

Public Information Office chief Aileen Refuerzo, in a phone interview on Monday (Aug. 30), said the three-day vaccination activity from Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 at the Baguio Country Club (BCC) is one way of recognizing the tourism industry’s contribution and assures the protection of workers and their clients.

“This is part of the commitment of the city government to have the workers in the economic sector vaccinated and geared toward helping gradually and safely reviving the local economy,” she said.

Department of Tourism (DOT) Sec. Bernadette Romulo-Puyat is expected to grace the culmination at the Baguio Convention Center on Sept. 1.

The activity is a collaboration among the DOT-Cordillera, city government, Hotel and Restaurant Association of Baguio, Baguio Tourism Council, BCC, and Navy reserve volunteers.

Only 454 or 8.3% of the 5,458 registered workers in tourism-related establishments have been vaccinated since the rollout began in March, according to the data of establishments previously issued with certificates of accreditation or compliance by the DOT and the local government.

Refuerzo said thousands of families rely on the tourism industry for livelihood directly or indirectly as workers, accommodation owners, souvenir shop owners or makers of souvenir items, flower growers and sellers, restaurant owners or workers or suppliers, entertainers, and other activities indirectly contributing to tourism.

Baguio reopened its borders to tourists in September 2020, applying the concept of a tourism bubble.

The “Ridge and Reef” bubble involved the provinces of Pangasinan, La Union, Ilocos Sur, and Ilocos Norte.

As of Aug. 13, non-essential travel from areas under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), modified ECQ, and general community quarantine (GCQ) with heightened restrictions are disallowed.

Non-essential travel will be allowed from GCQ and MGCQ areas only.

If not fully vaccinated, then a negative RT-PCR test result conducted within 72 hours prior to entry is required.

The city is currently conducting vaccination in strategic areas for priority sectors. It also deploys inoculation staff for senior citizens and immobile residents.

Baguio has 787 active COVID-19 cases as of Aug. 29. Of the 281,000 eligible population, 33.21% or 93, 357 are already fully vaccinated. (PNA) – jlo

Popular

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...