Taiwan to reassess visa-free entry for Filipinos July 2018

MANILA — Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in the Philippines said the reassessment on their trial based visa-free policy for Filipinos is set on July 2018.

According to Taiwan Representative to the Philippines Gary Song-Huann Lin, should results show outstanding evaluation on Filipino visitors to Taiwan, the visa-free treatment would continue.

“If the results are positive and everything goes well, it will resume,” he told reporters in a recent interview.

“If the outcome is really good or not many Filipinos are breaking the law, overstaying in Taiwan or involved in drug trafficking or human trafficking then my office, we can assure you, we’ll advise our government to consider the continuation of the visa-free treatment,” he added.

So far, Lin is optimistic that the Philippines will be given a good rating.

“So far so good, we’ve never heard nor encounter any Filipino breaking Taiwan’s law or have overstayed or anything like that,” he said.

Filipinos were granted visa-free entry to the Republic of China (Taiwan) not exceeding 14 days from Nov. 1, 2017 until trial period ends on July 31, 2018.

Per TECO, this initiative is part of Taiwan’s efforts under their “New Southbound Policy” to promote more people-to-people exchange between Taiwan and the Philippines.

Request for reciprocity

Lin said “as friends,” Taiwan would like to ask the government for visa-free reciprocity.

“If you introduce visa-free privileges to Taiwan and complement it by our investment protection and promotion agreement this will be excellent for (Philippines’) economic development,” he said.

Lin said that compared to other Southeast Asian countries like Vietnam, Taiwanese investment to the country was “far too low.”

“If you introduce visa-free this will be excellent not only for Taiwan but also for your own attraction of foreign investment,” he said. (PNA)

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...