Israeli police question Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu waves during the opening ceremony for a bomb-proof emergency room in a hospital in Ashkelon, Israel, Feb. 20, 2018. (Photo Courtesy of AP)

Police are questioning Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for the first time as part of an investigation into a corruption case involving the country’s telecom company Bezeq, Israeli media reported.

Army Radio and other media said police entered Netanyahu’s residence on Friday, while Netanyahu’s wife, Sara, was being questioned at another location.

Police allege that Bezeq’s news site, Walla, provided favorable coverage of Netanyahu and his wife in return for favors from communications regulators.

It was the first time that Netanyahu, who held the communications portfolio until last year, was questioned over the affair, known as Case 4000.

Last week, two close associates of Netanyahu were arrested on suspicion of promoting regulation worth hundreds of millions of dollars to Bezeq.

According to reports, legal complications for Netanyahu are mounting by the day, with four cases under investigation and others to come.

Police have recommended indicting Netanyahu for bribery. He is also suspected of receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts from billionaire friends in exchange for government favors.

Netanyahu has denied any wrongdoing, dismissing the accusations as a media witchhunt. | via Voice of America

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...