PRRD just ‘ladder’ in return of Balangiga bells: Palace

By Earl Jed Roque/PNA

MANILA — Malacañang recognized that while President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s actions and pronouncement played a part in the return of the Balangiga bells as a “ladder”, the collective will of the Filipinos are the “steps” that led to the return, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Friday.

Panelo said President Duterte’s recent remarks disowning credit for the bells’ return showed his “action-oriented and no-frill public service marked by humility.”

“But the fact remains, is that many have tried, and it was the President’s call that triggered the series of meetings that finally resulted in, to the coming home of Balangiga bells. But this is not per say, that the attempts were all futile. To us, it’s just like a ladder. It was the steps that finally reached the pedestal,” Panelo said in a statement.

Panelo said the President always acts based on the Constitution and aims for public interest.

“The President’s statement also shows his sincerity in upholding sovereignty through the use of diplomacy as a leverage to achieve what the country rightly and truly deserves,” Panelo added.

In an earlier speech, the President said no single person can take credit for the return of the bells which were seized by U.S. authorities in Balangiga, Eastern Samar, during the Philippine-American War, 117 years ago.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...