Lanao Norte execs for BOL, but oppose inclusion of 6 towns

By Richel Umel/PNA

A billboard of Lanao del Norte Rep. Khalid Dimaporo signifies Lanao del Norte’s support for the Bangsamoro Organic Law, but maintains that local officials are against the inclusion of the province’s six municipalities to the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao. (Photo by Richel V. Umel)

TUBOD, Lanao del Norte — Torn between supporting the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) and their determination not to cede any of this province’s towns to the new Bangsamoro entity, local officials here rejected the postponement of the plebiscite that would determine the area of the new autonomous government.

In a resolution passed Thursday, the Lanao del Norte Provincial Peace and Order Council (PPOC) opposed the decision of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to hold the BOL plebiscite in the province on February 6 next year and not at the start of the plebiscite period on January 21.

Governor Imelda Quibranza-Dimaporo questioned the Comelec’s basis of holding the plebiscite at a later date, pointing out that other prospective areas of the new Bangsamoro Autnomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) will hold their plebiscite on January 21.

“Why not let Lanao del Norte join the plebiscite on January 21 with other provinces like North Cotabato? Why can’t it be done simultaneously?” Dimaporo asked.

At least six of the province’s towns are included in the proposed BARMM areas, and Dimaporo is leading the “no” campaign to ensure the municipalities stay with Lanao del Norte.

Dimaporo also complained that some groups advocating for a “yes” vote had already campaigned even before the start of the December 7 campaign period.

The governor hinted that the Comelec decision to hold the plebiscite at a later date was meant to give the “yes” vote advocates undue advantage.

Dimaporo and her son, Rep. Khalid Dimaporo, maintained that they support BOL but would not want to see Lanao del Norte dismembered for economic and security reasons.

“We are against the inclusion for the two main reasons. If these six municipalities are separated from the province, the Internal Revenue Allotment in municipalities and barangays will be reduced. Secondly, the six municipalities are our buffers and protection,” the governor explained.

Dimaporo said the provincial government is willing to take the matter to the Supreme Court to resolve the issue.

The six Lanao del Norte towns included in the BOL plebiscite are Nunungan, Tangkal, Munai, Pantar, Balo-i and Tagoloan-II town.

Residents of these towns had voted to be included in the then Bangsamoro Juridical Entity under the Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain, which the Supreme Court ruled as unconstitutional in 2008

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...