Acute gastro, typhoid in Pangasinan drop

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan – Pangasinan’s provincial health office has recorded a decrease in the incidence of acute gastroenteritis and typhoid by 34 percent and 23 percent, respectively, in the first half of the year compared  to the same period in 2017.

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Anna Teresa de Guzman, in an interview on Monday, disclosed that there were 3,513 acute gastroenteritis victims in the province from January 1 to June 11 this year, lower than the 5,283 cases in the same period last year, with mortality rate steady at 18.

De Guzman said the top 10 city and municipalities that were monitored for the disease were San Carlos City, which had the highest number of cases at 258, followed by Calasiao (215); Bayambang (185); Umingan (176); Malasiqui (165); Lingayen (159); Mangaldan (153); Sta. Barbara (140); Binmaley (123); and San Fabian (116).

Meanwhile, the health office recorded 100 typhoid cases from Jan. 1 to June 11 this year, lower than the 130 cases reported in the same period last year.

“No mortality due to typhoid has been recorded this year and last year,” De Guzman said.

The top five city and towns under close monitoring for this disease were Bayambang (17); San Carlos City (13); Mangaldan (9); Malasiqui (8); and Sta. Barbara (4). (Hilda Austria/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...