Comelec hopeful of PRRD’s appointment of 2 more commissioners

MANILA — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is hoping that President Rodrigo R. Duterte will appoint two more poll commissioners soon.

Comelec acting Chairman Al Parreño said the naming of new officials will complete the seven-man commission en banc.

“Of course, we would want that a complete en banc,” he said in an interview.

The poll body chief that having seven officials will help in the preparations for the May 14 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) polls and next year’s midterm elections.

“This means the work will be easier,” Parreño added.

With this, he said that having retired Court of Appeals Justice Socorro Anting as Comelec Commissioner would be a big help in the adjudicatory function of the Commission.

“She will be a good help in the adjudication, case resolution, decision-making… those are the expertise of a justice,” said the Comelec head.

Last week, Malacañang announced the appointment of Inting, replacing retired Commissioner Arthur Lim.

With her appointment, there are now five Comelec en banc members, with Parreño, Commissioners Luie Guia, Rowena Guanzon, and Sheriff Abas.

The new poll body official is expected to report to work either by Friday or early next week. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...