DA inviting US experts to help curb mango fly infestation

Photo courtesy of Department of Agriculture

By Brian Jules Campued

The Department of Agriculture (DA) on Wednesday said it will consult experts from the United States to help eliminate insect infestation affecting local mango production.

In a news release, the DA said it is open to try products of a Florida-based biotechnology company.

“The Department of Agriculture will invite experts from Sun & Earth Microbiology LLC, a Florida-headquartered biotechnology company, to help eliminate Cecid fly infestation that undermines Philippine mango production and export,” the agency said.

The American firm plans to use “biological microbes” and “biological control agents” against Cecid flies which had already affected approximately 100,000 hectares of mango plantations in Palawan.

“The flies destroy up to 80% of mango fruits, with those affected showing brown scab-like spots. These pests usually start infesting mango trees shortly after flowering,” the DA added.

Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said that he is also interested in products that can control fusarium wilt—a plant disease caused by a fungus resulting in discoloration and wilting—in bananas, abacas, and coconut trees which are all major agricultural exports of the country.

Meanwhile, DA Undersecretary for Operations Roger Navarro assured Sun & Earth Microbiology LLC that it will discuss clearance concerns with the Food and Drug Administration for the products. – avds

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...