DILG: President’s power to declare ML in accordance with law

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) affirmed the power of the President to declare Martial Law is in accordance with the law.

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said the presence of massive public disorder and the exploitation of the situation such as the actions of leftist groups may be used as basis of President Rodrigo Duterte in declaring Martial Law.

“Nakita nila na itong crisis na ito ay isang pagkakataon para siraan ang gobyerno at ipagpatuloy ang kanilang rebolusyon. Iyan ay isang kapangyarihan ng Pangulo na pwede niyang gamitin kung kailangan (They saw this crisis as an opportunity to discredit the government and continue their revolution. That is one of the President’s powers he can use when needed),” Aῆo pointed out.

It was previously reported that the communist group CPP-NPA have successively attacked government troops involved in the fight against the ongoing health crisis. The forces of the Philippine National Police (PNP) have been mobilized to go after leftist groups.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said that it is in accordance with the law if Martial Law is declared. “We have the wealth of experience and lessons learned in the enforcement of martial law in Mindanao. We will capitalize on it,” AFP Spokesperson BGEN. Edgard Arevalo said.

The leaders of security forces assured the continuity of measures in securing the country.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...