DOJ to appeal Makati court ruling on Trillanes soon: Guevarra

By Benjamin Pulta/PNA

MANILA — Government lawyers will file a petition with the Court of Appeals on the case against Senator Antonio Trillanes IV as early as next month, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Monday.

“Within the reglementary period the Office of the Solicitor General will file the necessary petition for certiorari with the Court of Appeals in so far only as the resolution of Branch 148 denying our motion for the issuance of a warrant of arrest and hold departure order is concerned for grave abuse of discretion amounting to lack or excess of jurisdiction,” Guevarra told newsmen.

“(T)hat will be filed within the period of 60 days counted from the denial of our motion for reconsideration maybe by early January,” he added.

Last week, Trillanes’ lawyers formally informed the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 148 that it will appeal its case to the Supreme Court (SC).

In a seven-page motion and notice of appeal dated Dec. 10, Trillanes’ counsel Reynaldo Robles told the Makati court that they will be taking the case directly to the high court, where a pending suit filed by Trillanes is also pending.

In its joint resolution, Makati RTC Branch 148 Judge Andres Soriano turned down the motions for partial reconsideration filed by the government and Trillanes.

The lawmaker’s counsels had asked to declare President Rodrigo Duterte’s Proclamation 572, which invalidated his amnesty as “illegal and/or unconstitutional” after Soriano upheld the legality of the presidential directive last month.

On the other hand, prosecutors from the Department of Justice have challenged Soriano’s factual findings — that Trillanes filed an application for amnesty and admitted his guilt for the offense of coup d’etat — which contradicted the position of the government.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...