Leyte confirms 2 returnees tested positive for COVID-19

The provincial government of Leyte confirmed two individuals who have returned to the province last week tested positive for COVID-19.

The said individuals are part of the first batch of beneficiaries of the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa Program (BP2). They rode the same bus going to Tanauan and Baybay, Leyte. Authorities are now conducting contact tracing.

“Ito sila ay nasa isolation ‘yan ever since dumating sila… Kaya nga ang polisiya natin pagdating dito, isa-swab talaga namin pagdating dito (They have been isolated since they arrived. Our policy is to swab them upon arrival),” Leyte Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla said.

National Housing Authority (NHA) General Manager and BP2 Executive Director Marcelino Escalada said the first batch of those who returned to their provinces have submitted the minimum health requirement including medical and quarantine certificates.

Escalda pointed out the detection of those positive with COVID-19 is a result of the firm coordination with local governments.

“We have chosen the provincial government of Leyte to be the pilot rollout because we believe in the capacities of the LGU,” he said.

He also assured only local governments with the capacity to test, isolate, and treat are selected for the BP2 to accept returnees.

Meanwhile, Escalda said the BP2 Council decided to “withhold the rollout” of the program to give way to OFWs, students, and tourists.

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...