Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Antique

TREMOR HITS ANTIQUE TOWNS. Antique Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management officer Broderick Train says no damage was reported due to the Magnitude 4.2 earthquake that was felt in several towns in the province on Thursday morning (October 11, 2018). (File photo)

SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique — The Antique Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) reported that it has not monitored any damage following the magnitude 4.2 earthquake felt in the province around 2:34 a.m. of Thursday.

“There had been no damage monitored so far from the earthquake,” said Antique PDRRM officer Broderick Train.

The epicenter of the tectonic quake was located in the town of Barbaza, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs).

Intensity 4 was recorded in the towns of Barbaza, Bugasong, Culasi, Lau-an, Sibalom and Tibiao while Intensity 2 was felt in this capital town.

“The earthquake could be due to the West Panay Fault and Negros Trench,” Train said.

Intensity is the perceived strength of the tremor while magnitude is a scientific measurement of the force using a seismograph, said Train.

He also reminded the public to participate in the earthquake drills being conducted by their office or the local disaster risk reduction and management offices so that they would know how to respond in case of a similar incident.

“The province of Antique is going to be the ceremonial site for the 2018 fourth quarter National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill (NSED) on November 5 so I hope more people will participate because of its importance in keeping themselves safe,” he added.

The NSED will be conducted here to be joined by around 3,000 participants. (Annabel Consuelo Petinglay/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...