Metro mayors approve high occupancy vehicle lanes on EDSA

MANILA — In an effort to encourage carpooling among motorists, the Metro Manila Council (MMC) has approved the implementation of high occupancy vehicle lanes (HOVLs) on Epifanio delos Santos Avenue (EDSA) during rush hours.

Under the traffic policy, vehicles with two or more passengers will be able to pass through EDSA using the HOVLs.

Ang gagawin namin two or more lanes sa buong EDSA during rush hours for the HOVL (We will be utilizing two or more lanes in the entire EDSA during rush hours for the HOVL),” MMDA general manager Jojo Garcia said in a media interview on the sidelines of the regular meeting of the MMC on Tuesday in Mandaluyong City.

Binigyan kami ng authority ng MMC na anytime pwede kami gumawa ng dry-run (We were authorized by the MMC to conduct a dry run anytime),” Garcia said.

The MMDA has proposed the HOVL last year to reduce vehicular volume on EDSA.

Vehicles with at least two or more passengers were allowed to pass through EDSA using the fifth and leftmost lanes.

A dry-run was conducted December last year to test the feasibility of the scheme.

The MMDA eventually decided to cancel the implementation of the HOVL as its traffic enforcers were having difficulty inspecting heavily-tinted vehicles. (Aerol John Pateña/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...