NKTI assures it can manage leptospirosis cases

MANILA — The National Kidney Transplant Institute (NKTI) in Quezon City on Friday assured that its facility has an ample supply of medicine in anticipation of a spike in cases of leptospirosis this rainy season.

“We have 40,000 caps doxycyline in NKTI. We also have a fast lane in the outpatient department to attend to leptospirosis patients or those with exposure,” said NKTI director, Dr. Rose Marie Liquete, in an interview with the Philippine News Agency (PNA).

Liquete said the boxes of medicine, bought by the Department of Health (DOH), are stored at the NKTI.

Aside from the prepositioned medicines, she added that they also have medicines for severe cases that require a different form of treatment.

Liquete said they also made an extension ward at the NKTI complex so that those admitted would be given priority. She noted that the surge in cases of leptospirosis was noted after the occurrence of flash floods in Metro Manila last June 22.

“From June 22 to 27, we have recorded eight leptospirosis deaths,” she said, adding that death is inevitable for patients who suffer severe leptospirosis.

Since June 9, the NKTI has treated a total of 61 cases. To date, 47 leptospirosis patients are confined at the hospital, one at the intensive care unit, while a total of 19 patients are undergoing dialysis.

If left untreated, leptospirosis can result in kidney problem, which may require dialysis.

The leptospirae bacteria come from the urine of rats mixed with floodwater. Aside from penetrating open wounds, it can also enter other openings of the body, such as the nose, eyes, ears and mouth.

The DOH advises those who had been exposed to floodwater without protection, to closely observe themselves and immediately seek consultation at the onset of symptoms.

Symptoms include high fever, muscle pain, redness of the eyes, chills, severe headache, vomiting, diarrhea, or yellowish skin discoloration.

A total of 1,030 leptospirosis cases were recorded in government hospitals nationwide from January 1 to June 9 this year. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...