Palace: Duterte “very, very satisfied” with gov’t response to Ompong

Tuguegarao, Cagayan –  Malacañang on Sunday, September 16, stressed that the President is “very, very satisfied” with the government’s overall response to Typhoon Ompong, which hit the country’s northern provinces over the weekend.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, Jr. conducted a press briefing here to provide updates on the efforts of different government agencies in responding to the calamity.

He was joined by key Cabinet officials, including Science and Technology Secretary Fortunato de la Peña, Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi, Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez, Education Secretary Leonor Briones, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, Social Welfare Secretary Virginia Orogo, Information and Communications Technology Secretary Eliseo Rio, National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Director-General Secretaty Ernesto Pernia, and National Telecommunications Office (NTC) Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba.

Also present during the briefing were local officials of Cagayan, Governor Manuel Mamba and Vice Governor Melvin Vargas Jr.

During the briefing, Roque said President Rodrigo Roa Duterte was “very, very satisfied so far” with how the government has responded to the typhoon, which led to zero casualties being reported in the province of Cagayan.

“We are sorry that there are casualties reported in some parts of the Philippines,” he meanwhile stressed.

The Spokesperson also commended officials of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) for their accurate weather forecast that allowed concerned agencies to preposition all necessary relief services ahead of time.

“Siguro po ‘yung susunod, kailangan po nating palakpakan dahil po ‘yung sa departamento po niya nasa ilalim ang PAGASA. Because of the accurate forecasting of PAGASA, maraming naiwasang aberya,” Roque stressed, referring to DOST Secretary de la Peña.

A total of 33,000 relief packs were prepositioned by DSWD’s regional office for 26,367 families in affected areas, the DSWD noted. Roque for his part assured the public that the government has enough supply of relief goods for distribution, as he urged more volunteers to help with the repacking of the supplies.

The press briefing was held just a few minutes before President Duterte himself arrived in Cagayan to personally check on the province following the onslaught of Ompong. (PCO-Content)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...