PH Army probes rookie soldier’s death during reception rites

Photo courtesy: Philippine Army

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine Army (PA) is investigating the death of a rookie soldier, supposedly during reception rites at his unit in Maguindanao del Norte last week, an official said Monday.

In a message to reporters, PA spokesperson Col. Louie Dema-ala said two officers and 19 enlisted personnel have been relieved amid the ongoing investigation.

According to reports, Pvt. Charlie Patigayon, 22, was undergoing reception rites with other soldiers at the 6th Infantry Battalion headquarters in Barangay Capiton, Datu Odin Sinsuat when he collapsed on July 30. Patigayon, a native of Kolambugan, Lanao del Norte, died the following day.

Reception rites are a series of exercises new soldiers are instructed to do when reporting to their units.

“We assure Pvt. Patigayon’s family that the PA is committed to pursuing justice,” Dema-ala said in a statement.

“Should the investigation confirm wrongdoing, those responsible will be held fully accountable under the military justice system and all applicable laws,” he added.

The Army spokesperson stressed that in compliance with the Anti-Hazing Act of 2018, the PA “upholds a zero-tolerance policy against any practices that endanger the safety and well-being of its personnel.”

Aside from pursuing justice, Dema-ala said the PA is also providing all the necessary assistance and support to Patigayon’s family.


“While no form of compensation can ever replace the life of a soldier, we are committed to honoring Pvt. Patigayon’s service and to (ease) the burden on his loved ones,” he said. (PNA)

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...