PRRD confirms offer to Honasan to head DICT

By Jelly Musico/PNA

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte has confirmed that he had offered Senator Gregorio ‘Gringo’ Honasan II to join his administration.

“Yes that is true,” Duterte said Thursday when asked in a media interview on Boracay Island if he asked Honasan to become the next secretary of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).

“I think he’s considering the possibility. Ako naman, (On my part), I invited him. Sabi ko (I said), if you aren’t doing anything and if you will not run again, so why don’t you join me in our quest for a better Philippines and a better government,” he added.

Senate President Vicente Sotto III had earlier said Honasan may soon replace DICT Acting Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr.

“I think he is toying with the idea of joining. But I’m not sure if he has decided to actually join,” Duterte told the media who covered the ceremonial distribution of the certificates of land ownership award (CLOA) to agrarian reform beneficiaries in Boracay Island in Malay, Aklan.

Duterte was also asked about other possible appointees, including his next political adviser and his permanent spokesperson.

He said there is no any immediate need to appoint his new political adviser, a position vacated by Francis Tolentino who decided to run for senator in the 2019 mid-term elections.

The Chief Executive said “other names” are being considered to replace former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, who also filed certificate of candidacy for senator.

He said Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo is not his permanent spokesman.

“I don’t think he will transition himself to a spokesman. Maybe in the meantime that I’m considering other names,” he added.

Without giving a name, Duterte further said one being considered to be his permanent spokesman is from ABS-CBN, one of the country’s giant television networks.

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...