Puerto Princesa delays demolition of 33 homes in environmental estate

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan — The city government here has postponed the demolition of 33 illegal structures, mostly houses, in its claimed environmental estate in Barangay Sta. Lucia Monday.
The city government decided to give the homeowners and other occupants enough time to self-demolish until April when school is over, said City Administrator Arnel Pedrosa.

Pedrosa said City Mayor Lucilo Bayron did not want to disturb the schooling of the homeowners’ children.
“The mayor has acceded to their request and they have until the end of the school year to do that (self-demolition),” said Pedrosa, also the city legal officer.

Last week, the city government reminded the 33 families living inside the environmental estate that the one-month extension would end and they need to vacate the area before March 12.
But the affected families requested another extension, citing their children attending school as the reason.
Pedrosa, however, said the dismantling of newly-built structures without occupants would continue on the same day, as stated in the order issued last month.

“Demolition will proceed with regard to structures that are not occupied,” he added.

He said the barangay hall and the church in the environmental estate would be spared from the impending demolition in respect of the authorities, who built them.

The 1,072-hectare area of the Sta. Lucia Subcolony was declared as an environmental estate through Presidential Decree 718 signed by former President Fidel Ramos.

Under the proclamation, the city government is tasked to primarily develop it for ecotourism and commercial enterprise purposes.

Pedrosa said the environmental estate would give rise to the construction of “sustainable government projects” in the future. (Keith Anthony Fabro/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...