Respect other nations’ customs, CBCP reminds OFWs

MANILA — The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines-Episcopal Commission for the Pastoral Care for Migrants and Itinerant People (CBCP-ECMI) on Monday appealed to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to observe proper decorum and respect the custom and traditions of their host countries.

“We appeal to our OFWs to be more cautious and careful especially when peace and quiet could be disturbed,” said Bishop Ruperto Santos, head of the CBCP-ECMI said in an interview.

The Bataan prelate issued the appeal following the arrest of 17 Filipino workers in a Halloween party in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia last week.

Santos, meanwhile, urged the government to assist the arrested Filipinos.

“Let us exhaust all means to assist and help our OFWs who accidentally got involved of just attending Halloween party. It was not their intentions, nor they were promoters,” Santos added.

Based on information from the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, the arrest stemmed from a complaint by neighbors about the noise coming from the party, prompting them to report it to Saudi authorities.

Despite implementation of reforms in the conservative Muslim nation, Saudi Arabia strictly bans holding of events and gatherings without permission or those identified with other religions and implements segregation of men and women.

The Philippine Embassy has already advised OFWs to refrain from organizing or publicly holding non-Islamic celebrations in the kingdom. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...