Supreme Court affirms ruling on Anti-Terror Law

The Supreme Court has affirmed on Tuesday, April 26, its decision on the constitutionality of the Philippine Anti-Terror Law except for its two provisions.

During its summer en banc session in Baguio, the Supreme Court “denied with finality the motions for reconsideration” for its decision on December 7, 2021 on the petitions challenging Republic Act No. 11479 or the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020.

“The Court resolved to deny the motions for reconsideration due to lack of substantial issues and arguments raised by the petitioners,” the High Court said.

“The Members of the Court maintained their votes in their December 7, 2021 Decision, which was penned by then Associate Justice and now Philippine Judicial Academy Chancellor Rosmari D. Carandang. Newly appointed Associate Justice Antonio T. Kho, Jr. sided with the majority,” it added.

Last year, the Court ruled that a provision under Section 4 of the law pertaining to the definition of terrorism was unconsitutional, together with a portion of Section 25 on the designation of terrorists. This renders almost the majority of the law retained. 

In a statement, acting Presidential Spokesperson Martin Andanar welcomed the Supreme Court’s latest move, saying that it is a victory for the people. 

“We consider this latest High Court ruling a triumph for all peace-loving and law-abiding Filipinos as it serves as a stern warning against malevolent elements that the Philippines is not a safe haven for terrorists,” he said.  – With reports from Kenneth Paciente/AG- gb 

 

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...