Western Visayas is 123% fish sufficient

ILOILO CITY — Western Visayas is unaffected by the lack of fish supply as the region has 123 percent fish sufficiency rate.

“We are not affected by the lack of fish supply,” assured Remia Aparri, regional director of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources in Western Visayas (BFAR-6), on Thursday.

She said that last year the region has 398,000 metric tons production for aquaculture, commercial and municipal.

Although there was a decline in the municipal fishing figures, it was compensated by the commercial fishing, whose production increased by 9 percent, she added.

The decline in municipal production was attributed to climate change, less supply of bangus fry and the higher cost of production input that limits operators to increase their production. Also, some fishpond owners have yet to recover from their losses due to Super Typhoon Yolanda in 2013.

Minus seaweeds, she said milkfish remains to be the top produce in Western Visayas when it comes to aquaculture. The provinces of Capiz, Iloilo and Negros Occidental are the top producers of bangus.

Meantime, the high prices of fish in the market have something to do with the law of supply and demand, she added.

She said some traders and operators sell their produce where there are no available supplies.

To address the lack of bangus fries, “the government will be putting up hatcheries and will improve the existing hatcheries to increase the bangus fry production,” she said.

Most of the hatcheries will be established in Regions 4A, Central Visayas and in Mindanao.

There will be minimal hatcheries to be established in Western Visayas due to the presence of the South East Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC) that produces milkfish fries. There are also other bangus hatcheries in Iloilo and Negros Occidental. (Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...