219 GenSan inmates freed via plea bargaining deal

PNA

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — At least 219 inmates of the city reformatory center gained freedom last year through plea bargaining agreements facilitated by the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP).

Supt. Peter Bongat Jr., warden of the Lanton Reformation Center here, said Wednesday the inmates were ordered released by the courts after availing of the simplified plea- bargaining framework.

Bongat said the framework allows the “accused and the prosecutor to work out a mutually reasonable disposition of the case subject to court approval.”

Inmates could have their sentences reduced or get released after pleading guilty to charges filed against them, he said.

“Most of the inmates who opted for the plea bargaining were facing cases involving illegal drugs,” he said.

Bongat said they implemented the scheme to help decongest the city jail’s population, which currently stands at 1,989 and with a congestion rate of 450 percent.

The Supreme Court allowed drug offenders to avail of plea bargaining for cases involving the possession of small quantities of shabu, marijuana, and other illegal drugs.

Defendants may opt for plea bargain “to a lesser offense or to only one or some of the counts of a multi-count indictment in return for a lighter sentence than that for the graver charge,” a BJMP statement said.

Bongat said at least 20 more inmates are due for release in the coming days as a result of the plea bargaining.

Meanwhile, jail management expects the completion by the second quarter of its PHP28-million expansion project, which involves the construction of 28 additional cells.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...