BI nabs bogus SoKor journo wanted for fraud

MANILA — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) is set to deport a 39-year-old South Korean national, who is facing a string of fraud cases in his country for swindling more than 42.2 million won by pretending to be a journalist.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said Yun Jong Sik was arrested by operatives of the bureau’s Fugitive Search Unit in Guadalupe, Makati City last May 23.

He is currently detained at the BI Detention Center in Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig pending his deportation.

Yun was apprehended through a mission order issued by the BI chief upon the request of the South Korean Embassy, which informed the bureau about his outstanding cases.

“We will not allow criminals to use the Philippines to hide from justice. He will be deported, and will be banned from returning to the country,” Morente added.

On the other hand, BI Spokesperson Dana Krizia Sandoval said Yun is the subject of four arrest warrants issued by South Korean courts for defrauding large sums of money.

One of his pending cases is his alleged swindling of two female Koreans, whom he enticed to give him money via the Internet by introducing himself as a journalist who graduated from a prestigious university in the United States.

“He was charged with receiving more than 42.2 million won (USD390,000) from the victims through deceit and lies, which he committed on 16 occasions between August and September 2013,” she said.

Sandoval added that Yun arrived in the country on Oct. 2, 2008 and has not left since.

The South Korean national’s passport has already expired, which means he had been illegally staying in the country as an undocumented alien for the past several years. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...