Comelec says no resolution banning campaign through social media

ILOILO CITY — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) here said there is no resolution that prohibits candidates from campaigning through social media, especially Facebook, said Iloilo City Election Assistant Officer Jonathan Sayno on Monday.

Sayno said that Republic Act 900 or the Fair Elections Act serves as basis for the conduct of elections and so far they have not seen any provision that regulates the use of social media.

Sayno added minimal use of posters or tarpaulins was noted since the start of the campaign period and probably candidates turned to Facebook as their vehicle to reach the voters.

Meantime, Comelec does not conduct “motu propio” investigation on alleged violations of candidates.

Sayno said there has to be a complainant and it must be a verified petition.

The campaign period for barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (BSK) elections kicked off last Friday.

He said that candidates must follow the common poster area that was designated by the Comelec in every barangay. He added that placement of campaign material in the common poster area is limited so as to accommodate all candidates.

Those placed in private properties must seek the consent of the owners. The election propaganda, regardless whether it is placed in the common poster area of private property must follow the maximum poster size of 2×3 feet.

He urged those who have problems with their common poster area to coordinate with the Comelec so they will be properly guided.

He reiterated that candidates are allowed to spend only PHP5.00 per voter.
To date, Comelec Iloilo City has not received complaints on election violation, he said. (Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...