DBM welcomes opportunity to face critics in Congress

By Joann Villanueva/PNA

MANILA — The Department of Budget (DBM) on Thursday said a subpoena to appear before Congress will be an opportunity for DBM officials to answer lawmakers’ inquiries about the proposed PHP3.757-trillion budget for this year.

This, as the agency said it has “received information of new allegations against the DBM.”

House Appropriations Committee Chair Rolando Andaya Jr. has accused Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno of including about PHP75 billion worth of projects in the proposed Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) budget for this year.

This allegation has resulted in the reenactment of last year’s budget pending the approval of this year’s proposed allocation.

However, based on recent hearings in the House of Representatives some persons who were invited to shed light on the issue identified DBM Undersecretary Amenah Pangandaman as the one behind the supposedly questionable PHP75 billion in DPWH’s allocation.

DBM, in a statement, said “these accusations are without basis and are meant to discredit the good reputation of the DBM as one of the most transparent and credible institutions in the world.”

“For the record, on July 9, 2018, a Cabinet Meeting was held where the President approved the budget, including the PHP555-billion allocation for DPWH. Following the President’s approval, printing of the National Expenditure Program (NEP) commenced on July 10, 2018,” it said.

“Given these facts and the misconceptions about the process, we take any subpoena from the House as an opportunity to clarify all these matters not only to the public, but also for the official records of House,” it added.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...