GenSan steps up advocacy drive vs. illegal drugs

By Allen Estabillo/PNA

GENERAL SANTOS CITY – The city government has stepped up its community-based advocacy activities against illegal drugs as it acknowledged that the problem has remained prevalent in some barangays in the area.

City Mayor Ronnel Rivera said Monday they have strengthened their partnership with barangay councils and other local stakeholders to help free local communities from the illegal drug menace.

He noted that 17 of the city’s 26 barangays have not yet been declared as drug-cleared, citing the ongoing illegal drug-related activities there.

Some of these barangays were previously cleared by authorities but later reverted to drug-affected status.

“It only shows that once an area is declared as drug-cleared, the campaigns should not stop. Our barangay stakeholders and law enforcement units must ensure that such status would be sustained,” he said in a radio interview.

The mayor said the city’s campaign is focused on the reduction of illegal drug supplies and users in local communities.

He said they have been enlisting more community residents to become advocates through the city’s innovative Purok Laban sa Krimen program.

The program is being implemented by the local government in all 26 barangays, in coordination with barangay councils.

The city government, through the Integrated Barangay Affairs Office, has partnered with the Liga na mga Barangay to properly monitor the program’s implementation.

“We have capacitated our barangay officials and concerned residents, so they can help police their communities against people who are behind these illegal activities,” Rivera said.

He said their advocacy program mainly complements with the continuing operations of the city police and other law enforcement units against illegal drugs.

“We’re leaving the law enforcement part to authorities and focusing our attention on the advocacy part,” he said.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...