Israeli PM, U.S. president hold phone talks on Iranian nuclear issue

Xinhua News Agency

JERUSALEM – Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and U.S. President Joe Biden held a phone conversation on Sunday, Feb. 6, over Iranian nuclear and other international issues, the prime minister’s office said in a statement.

The two leaders discussed “regional challenges” and in particular the “growing Iranian aggression, and the steps to block the Iranian nuclear program,” it said.

Bennett congratulated Biden on the operation to kill the IS leader Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi, noting that “the world is now a safer place.”

The Israeli prime minister invited the U.S. president and his wife to visit Israel, said the statement, adding that the two leaders agreed to be “in regular contact.”

The phone conversation came as the international talks in Vienna on reviving the 2015 nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), between world powers and Iran enters the final stretch.

Earlier on Sunday, Bennett told his weekly cabinet meeting that “we are responsible for dealing with the Iranian nuclear program and, of course, we are monitoring the Vienna talks.”

Iran insists its nuclear program is peaceful. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...