Kidapawan families displaced by 2019 quake get new homes

By John Andrew Tabugoc | Philippine News Agency

KIDAPAWAN CITY, North Cotabato – The city government, in partnership with the National Housing Authority (NHA), turned over Thursday (Oct. 7) the P 36.6-million housing project to 117 families displaced by the 2019 earthquake in Barangay Ilomavis.

The project comprised of 117 newly-built housing units for Puroks 3 and 4 of Barangay Ilomavis, both declared hazardous and landslide-prone areas based on the assessment by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

“We swiftly requested and started the project two months after the 6.6 magnitude quake that shook the locality in October 2019 and forced these people to evacuate,” Mayor Joseph Evangelista said.

Funded by the NHA, each unit costs P270,000.

The beneficiaries also received collapsible water carriers with water purification tablets, collapsible water gallon containers, sleeping kits, and food packs comprised of five kilos of rice, canned goods, and coffee.

According to Evangelista, the LGU is continuing its consultations with the affected families to provide appropriate interventions, particularly livelihood, to supplement their daily needs.

“We never stopped assisting them after the calamity and during this time of pandemic,” he said.

In his response, Jimmy Mantawil, the barangay chairman of Ilomavis expressed his commendation to the concerned agencies for striving to give suitable interventions.

Earlier this year, the city government also turned over 551 housing units at the same relocation site.

Kidapawan City is among the first local government units to respond to the housing needs of their displaced constituents in the provinces of North Cotabato and Davao del Sur that were both severely affected by the 2019 quake incident.

READ MORE: LAGING HANDA: EARTHQUAKE UPDATE, OCTOBER 31, 2019 I Pag-demolish sa Eva’s Hotel sa Kidapawan City, ginapadali na

The strongest of the series of earthquakes that struck the province of North Cotabato in October 2019 was recorded at magnitude 6.6 with the epicenter traced in Tulunan town that borders the municipality of Makilala.

The tremor was also felt in other parts of Mindanao. (PNA) – bny

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...