Morales’ role part of bigger effort to discredit PBBM admin – lawmaker

CLARIFICATION. The Senate Committee on Public Order and Dangerous Drugs chaired by Senator Ronald Dela Rosa tackles the recent P9.68-billion illegal drug bust in Batangas province during a motu proprio hearing on Tuesday (April 30, 2024), with Interior Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. among the resource persons. Dela Rosa, a former PNP chief, said overestimation happens and it is important that correction is made right away, referring to the original announcement of 1.9 tons of shabu (P13.3 billion) seized that was later lowered to 1.4 tons. (PNA photos by Avito Dalan)

By Zaldy De Layola | Philippine News Agency

A former Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) agent’s testimony linking President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to illegal drugs is part of a larger effort to discredit and destabilize the current administration, House of Representatives Deputy Majority Leader Rep. Jude Acidre said on Thursday.

Acidre, representative of the Tingog Party-list, even raised doubts about the credibility of former PDEA intelligence officer Jonathan Morales.

“I think it becomes even more clear now na itong mga pangyayaring ito ay kaparte ng isang mas malaki pang effort to discredit and destabilize the current administration,” he said in a press conference at the House.

In a recent Senate hearing, Morales provided testimony on the purported “authenticity” of leaked 2012 documents allegedly implicating then Senator Bongbong Marcos and actress Maricel Soriano to illegal drug use.

PDEA Director General Moro Virgilio Lazo, however, strongly refuted Morales’ claims, asserting that the documents in question, including a supposed pre-operation report and authority to operate, were nonexistent.

Lazo said Morales’ allegations were “fabricated” and “have no basis,” emphasizing that the Senate committee on public order and dangerous drugs should not rely on testimony from an individual who had previously committed perjury by concealing his dismissal from the Philippine National Police (PNP) during his application to PDEA.

Acidre also questioned Morales’ showing up to accuse the President, especially since the Senate hearing was meant to tackle the seizure of about 1.4 tons of shabu worth P9.68 billion in Batangas.

“Katulad nyo medyo naguguluhan din ako,” he told the media.

He said the detailed explanations provided by PDEA, especially about how all operational reports are computerized and serialized, raised questions about Morales’ statements.

Echoing Acidre’s sentiments, Isabela 6th District Rep. Faustino “Inno” Dy questioned why Morales was included in the hearing when the main issue should have been the Alitagtag, Batangas 1.4-ton drug haul.

He also emphasized the ease of fabricating documents in today’s technology-driven world, citing the prevalence of deepfake technology.

Dy likewise noted the lack of evidence from the PDEA corroborating Morales’ claims and no less than the agency’s leadership had refuted the existence of such documents.

Assistant Majority Leader and Taguig City 2nd District Rep. Amparo Maria “Pammy” Zamora, said the PDEA has acknowledged that the document has no control number.

“So, obviously the document doesn’t exist,” Zamora said.

On Wednesday, Surigao del Norte 2nd District Rep. Robert Ace Barbers questioned the credentials of Morales, who, he said, was dishonorably discharged from the police service.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...