Slain Filipina laid to rest in Sweden: DFA

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA

MANILA — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday night reported that the remains of slain Filipina Mailyn Conde Sinambong will no longer be repatriated to the Philippines.

“The DFA has just been informed that Mailyn Conde Sinambong was finally laid to rest in Stockholm a few minutes ago,” Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato told reporters in an update.

“She was buried at the Norra Begravningsplatsen cemetery in the presence of her brother and cousin from the Philippines, her two children, her aunt and cousin from Norway, and her in-laws.”

Cato said Consul General Maria Elena Algabre of the Philippine Embassy in Oslo and Suzette Aluag-Callo of the DFA Office of Migrant Workers Affairs were present during the funeral rites.

“The 28-year-old Cebuana was buried in simple Catholic rites two months after she was killed,” he added. A Catholic funeral ceremony was also held for her in Stockholm on Monday.

Sinambong, mother of two aged 10 and 4, was allegedly beaten to death by her 50-year-old Swedish husband, Steve Abou Bakr Aalam, on September 23.

Meanwhile, her family’s quest for justice is ongoing. Last week, Swedish prosecutors met her brother and cousin to discuss the murder case filed against Aalam.

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...