Spanish government sacks spy chief after phone tapping scandal

Xinhua News Agency

MADRID – The Spanish government on Tuesday, May 10, sacked the head of the country’s intelligence services in the wake of the ‘Pegasus’ phone-hacking scandal.

Spain’s Minister of Defense Margarita Robles confirmed that Paz Esteban had been replaced by her former number-two, Esperanza Casteleiro, at the head of the Spanish National Intelligence Center (CNI).

The move comes after revelations that the CNI had hacked the phones of leading members of the Catalan independence movement, including the current leader of the region Pere Aragones.

It was also confirmed last week that the mobile phones of Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez and Robles had been hacked by an “external” source, which has yet to be confirmed. Esteban told a Congressional Committee last week that 18 Catalan politicians had been spied on, saying that judicial permission had been given to do this.

This has caused an important breach in relations between Aragones’ Ezquerra Republicana (ERC) party and Sanchez’s coalition government, who have at times relied on ERC’s support to pass key pieces of legislation.

Explaining the decision in a press conference after Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting, Robles defended “the great international prestige” of Spain’s intelligence services.

“There may be failures, in Spain and in all the countries of the world. That is why it is so important that we never lower our guard and that the National Intelligence Center is fighting every day with the greatest efficiency. It is necessary to strengthen the CNI and take a step forward, modernize it,” she said. (Xinhua) – bny 

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...