Brazil decrees end of COVID-19 health emergency

Xinhua News Agency

BRASILIA — Brazilian Health Minister Marcelo Queiroga signed a decree on Friday ending the COVID-19 public health emergency, effective 30 days after its publication in the Official Gazette.

In its decision to lift the emergency, which has been in force since February 2020, the Health Ministry took into account the national public health system’s response capacity, the improved epidemiological situation and the wide vaccination coverage against the virus, the ministry said in a statement.

“Brazil has registered an 80 percent decrease in the moving average of COVID-19 cases and deaths compared to the peak from the Omicron variant earlier this year,” the statement said.

In addition, almost 74 percent of the Brazilian population are fully immunized, while 81 percent have receive a first vaccine dose and over 74 million people have been given a booster dose, the ministry said.

However, the Health Ministry emphasized the importance of the vaccination campaign, even after the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency. It added that immunization against COVID-19 is essential to maintain transmission control and that Brazilians must complete the vaccination schedule with both doses and a booster dose.

The South American country has registered more than 30.3 million COVID-19 cases and 662,500 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic. – gb

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...